So Junsu (now calling himself Jun.K) allegedly revealed that a member of 2PM was dating by accident on tvN‘s “The Romantic & Idol“, which would normally seem like an interesting scandal, but: 1) you have to wonder how much of an accident it really was and 2) Jun.K? JunK? Junk? Really?
Jun.K accidently revealed that one of the 2PM members was currently in a relationship, surprising many fans. On yesterday’s pilot episode of tvN’s “Sunday N tvN – The Romantic & Idol,” Jun.K got himself in a sticky situation when the interview slyly talked him into revealing 2PM’s romance stories.
When asked if anyone within 2PM was currently seeing someone, Jun. K replied, “No, not right now. Actually, one member is [dating].” He quickly added, “Oh no, I got tricked into this.” Regarding himself, he shared that it’s been a long time since he dated someone. Jun.K stated, “Many people have seriously told me to start dating. It’s really been a long while.”
Netizens had a generally negative reaction to the news, which begged a bunch of questions from people.
1. [+231, -25] What the hell is up with his name -_-
2. [+223, -23] What is Jun. K?
3. [+168, -11] I’m not shocked by much these days
4. [+77, -23] Eh? Hasn’t it been a while since 2PM failed and became irrelevant…. Don’t even know if they can get popular with a new album anymore. They easily lose out to INFINITE ㅠㅠ Sorry but nobody cares about you guys anymore, especially news about you dating~~~~ ^^
5. [+61, -11] 2PM is pretty much over as well…
6. [+47, -13] Junsu, I can never forget how you made my ears rot after hearing your cover of Snow Flower. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bQeYW28mUE
7. [+44, -6] I feel bad for him. Got pushed back by Xiah Junsu and so he changed his name to Min Jun. Then got pushed even further to irrelevancy by Kim Min Jun when he took a video of himself topless for Superstar K. Now what kind of name is Junk?
8. [+43, -9] No one cares whether you guys date or take a sh*t
9. [+40, -5] Nobody cares about this group anymore
10. [+39, -4] What the hell is Jun. K? Doesn’t even match him. He should just name himself ‘Broadcast Man’. Sounds nice n friendly.
So I got a few questions, presumably from 2PM fans, asking whether Korea hates them or something. I guess they were shocked by the reaction, and I’m not a 2PM fan or anything, but I wouldn’t read too much into it.
Most of the comments seem to mock him because of his shitty name, which I have to agree with (I mean, come on). The others just basically call them irrelevant. Perhaps because they think this dating thing is a media play, but the more likely reason is because they haven’t released anything for the Korean market since like June of 2011.
In the West this isn’t a big deal, but the Asian approach to pop music is just to constantly whore material, hence idols have comeback and goodbye stages in this never-ending cycle where it appears they never ever actually leave the spotlight. Thus, I’m guessing spending such a long time away has rendered them sort of an afterthought to Korean K-pop fans.
I have to say though, my reaction was honestly the same.