In case you hadn’t heard yet, the netizens have already completely turned on Wonder Girls‘ Sunye and her husband James Pak, so we know the pair are under a microscope to begin with. However, recent comments from them were particularly disturbing to me, primarily because they weren’t judging something her and her husband actually did, but rather how they looked in a rather stock, plain picture.
1. [+611, -23] Isn’t that her husband next to her?? He should hold her hand…
2. [+453, -34] Does her husband not care for her anymore? He should hold her purse for her..
3. [+391, -20] They really look like they don’t care for each other… Sunye doesn’t look happy at all.. Why?
4. [+349, -12] That guy… just isn’t doing it for me.
5. [+316, -11] That guy couldn’t possible be her husband. He has to be a security guard right? I don’t remember her husband being that fat… and if he really is her husband, they look like they got into a fight beforehand.
6. [+305, -49] The woman who messed up the Wonder Girls
7. [+297, -13] Even as a man, this is a bit much… Why isn’t he holding her hand.
8. [+249, -9] Aigoo, why do I feel so bad for Sunye… The husband doesn’t look like he cares at all.. Why’d she get pregnant so fast anyway… Seems more like she settled for him out of loneliness..
9. [+245, -11] They don’t look close at all
10. [+203, -35] He looks like a woman abuser
11. [+183, -10] That can’t be her husband… This is too much.
12. [+138, -20] She basically got married to a black haired foreigner. Just go back to your country.. Don’t waste our oxygen.
13. [+99, -9] I get a bad impression from her husband… He looks like he’d have a hot temper with playboy tendencies…
14. [+90, -3] Really? The husband really couldn’t hold her hand? He’s just walking ahead alone… They look like a couple who’s been married for 10 years.
15. [+65, -6] Wow, that ba$tard looks like he’s tired of her now that he’s popped her cherry
16. [+61, -2] What’s up with that guy’s face? Why won’t he hold her hand? He looks like he’s pissed off.
17. [+56, -5] In this picture, Sunye looks like a woman who gets beat every night. She looks really intimidated by her husband. Her husband looks like some mafia boss.
18. [+50, -1] You can judge a lot about a marriage the first year into it… It’s a bit much judging them through this one photo but Sunye looks really tired and out of it.
So, out of the 18 top comments, I have summarized their conclusions into five categories:
He Doesn’t Love Her/Is Tired Of Her – 10
They Hate Each Other – 4
He Abuses Her – 2
He’s A Psycho Who Cheats – 1
She Is A Bitch – 1
This is all going off of just that picture, mind you.
Surely that’s a fluke, though. Their reaction to a nicer picture must at least cull the amount of conclusions jumped to, right?
1. [+493, -42] I think she monitored the comments on her recent article about their wedding attendance…… ㅠㅠ Still gotta admit her husband looks scary
2. [+352, -16] A photo taken without him knowing says a lot more than him smiling in a selca like this. We all saw how he doesn’t have enough heart to even hold the hand of his pregnant wife… It’s obvious that Sunye wanted to start a family early because she grew up under her grandmother. I guess I just wish their marriage will last a happy 100 years.
3. [+261, -12] This makes it more suspicious… They were mad hated on for those pictures yesterday so it seems more like she’s trying to act all lovey dovey to keep face with the public.
4. [+258, -9] I think she released this selca only because of the response yesterday… She should realize that it’s more important that he’s caught looking nice in candid photos than in selcas like this
5. [+167, -12] I really want Sunye to be happy but… her husband just gives off the wrong impression.. ㅜㅜ
6. [+123, -5] She totally read the comments ㅋㅋㅋㅋ
7. [+102, -12] This selca seems more like he’s forcing her to smile for the camera…
8. [+69, -9] The man looks hot tempered… Well, they look great together.
It’s A Conspiracy – 3
He Doesn’t Love Her/Is Tired Of Her – 2
He Abuses Her – 2
They Hate Each Other – 1
So … yeah. No.
Everything is terrible and nothing is safe.
It’s particularly hilarious to me because the two pictures mean absolutely nothing. If this isn’t proof positive that netizens are losers who have never had relationships before then I don’t know what is. Why? Because if your life was photographed all the time, the chances that you would have a much worse candid taken with your significant other is about 100%. This photo is a stock picture taken of a normal couple*, yet because it’s them, people go as far as saying she’s abused.
*Holding hands at all times is normal? Get the fuck out of here. They’re married and they’re not screaming at each other, it’s healthy.
Overall, it’s just … not normal thinking.
This isn’t a “netizens being netizens” issue either, at least as far as dismissing their comments because it applies everywhere else too. When people jump to conclusions like this in America, they are generally immediately shit on or labeled delusional fangirls/fanboys. And this happens on the cesspool that is YouTube, much less news sites.
As such, this is one of those issues that truly reflects poorly on Korea (and Asia, really), ESPECIALLY since it touches on their key issues of suicide, bullying, and plastic surgery, which are constantly at the forefront of netizen complaints.
You don’t think this type of pathological over-analysis and psychotic criticism of COMPLETELY NORMAL DAY-TO-DAY SHIT plays into why the aforementioned issues exist to begin with? Of course it does. Therefore, it’s hypocritical for them to rage whenever somebody kills themselves, gets bullied, or wants plastic surgery when they turn around and use a simple picture to infer a lack of love/make a personality judgement, assume that it’s evidence of abuse, and continue to demonstrate how society places nice appearances over fact and reality.
You reap what you sow, and netizens have been actively sowing what they have identified themselves as Korea’s biggest problems.