For reasons unknown, Woohyun of INFINITE seemed like he was having a rough go of it on ‘Music Bank‘, as he was seen by fans standing apart from the group.
— doris #Fire2ndWin (@nyooomgi) May 13, 2016
People noticed this as odd and it started to become a thing, and according to one account (which is now deleted to “protect” Woohyun), Woohyun even ignored staff instructions to stand closer to the group so they could get them all in one shot.
So that’s weird, especially since this is the solo he’s surely been waiting a while for, but it’s ultimately whatever and I hope everything alright with him.
That said, I came across this tweet and it brought up an interesting point.
Krystal: *blank face in a screen cap*
Netizens: OH MY GOD WHAT A BITCH
Woohyun: *sulks on stage 2 nights in a row*
Netizens: OMG poor baby!
— Hollee (@InfinitelySY) May 13, 2016
1. [+558, -36] Krystal needs to learn where to draw a line with her chic image. This is not her first rodeo at an official event like this, she can’t just stand there looking cold faced all the time. What does that make the members standing there next to her? She’s old enough to know now that there’s a time and place for her emotions and if she’s upset about something, events like this are not the place to show them. If she did get into a fight with them, she should not be showing it now.
2. [+419, -22] Moon Hee Jun asked Krystal if she was feeling upset about something and Krystal just stayed quiet while Luna covered for her
3. [+362, -18] Moon Hee Jun asked her if she was feeling upset on the red carpet and Krystal looked stone faced while Luna covered for her, is something going on?
4. [+211, -9] Hmm… I’m Krystal’s fan but she acts so immature. Sure she’s young but she’s been working all her life and should know that no matter how upset she is, she should learn to smile in situations. This isn’t even the first time this has been mentioned.
5. [+196, -9] I don’t know if they got into a fight but I did wonder what was wrong with her on the red carpet. Seeing her like this while receiving an award too makes me wonder, what really is wrong with her????
6. [+186, -23] Even if something did happen, how is it right that she stands there with a facial expression like that? She has no professionalism about her job. Just quit her career like her unni did if she wants to take a break that badly. She should learn to act appropriately if she’s receiving all this fan love over her pretty face and body. She can’t act like this forever.
7. [+181, -7] Sorry but from the perspective of a non-fan, she looks like a b*tch. Even if she’s just shy, she’s a celebrity for a job, she needs to learn to control her emotions in front of the camera. She should not be making viewers uncomfortable with expressions like that on a huge stage as the MAMA. Her fans spent so much time streaming her album for her to win this award, it wouldn’t kill her to smile a bit..
8. [+134, -7] Krystal does this often at public events… It makes not like her..
9. [+128, -6] But her facial expression was weird when she was walking the other way too. I don’t know what surprised her but she stopped and stood still for a bit after looking surprised.
10. [+120, -7] I love Krystal and wish she would fix this about herself. People defend her saying she’s always like this but this is a public event and people should be respected. It must be frustrating as her member to deal with her being like this, especially since it’s not the first time. We’re not going to put up with it forever. She should fix it, even if it’s just for herself.
It’s almost a like-for-like comparison, complete with at least one person trying to make them part of the group but being denied.
If that’s not enough, then consider Krystal’s appearance on ‘Music Bank’ when Taeyeon won #1 and how everybody accused her of hating Taeyeon cause she didn’t stand close enough to the group and seemed to want to leave.
Compare those events and the conclusions drawn from them about Krystal to the prevailing reaction to Woohyun, which has K-netz doing this…
1. my heart hurtsㅠㅠ he was like that yesterday too, it’s nice that he’s considerate for the other singers, but he looked so down
2. Woohyun-ahㅠㅠㅠ please stand in the middle
3. aigoo our precious namuㅠㅠ see you in the middle next time!
4. why does he always stand in the cornerㅠㅠㅠmy heart hurtsㅠㅠ please don’t stand that far away, you’re not a nuisance you’re the bestㅠㅠㅠ
5. is he like that because he’s in a solo?ㅠㅠㅠ I miss infinite
6. (BTS fan) is it because he’s too considerate?ㅠㅠㅠ please be friends with our kids and stand in the middle next timeㅠㅠ
7. (BTS fan2) he should make more friends…ㅠㅠ he’ll hurt the fans like that
8. ah seriouslyㅠㅠ Woohyun-ah why are you being like thisㅠㅠ please stand in a spot that shines brighter than anyone else next weekㅠㅠ
…and I-netz doing much of the same on social media, and it’s a striking difference in reactions for things that are fundamentally the same.
Basically, Krystal is a bitch who can’t do her job, and Woohyun is an introvert that needs friends and our sympathy. Can’t imagine why the difference formed.
The point, of course, is not to say that Woohyun deserves to have morons overreacting to every blank expression or introverted personality event he goes through. Rather, the point is that maybe people should extend the same courtesy to other idols that they’re giving Woohyun (or worship the bitch face, like me), as they also may not mean to shit on others. Or barring being nice like they are to Woohyun, maybe they can just not come up with some bullshit narratives because they think they’re mind-readers? Seems reasonable.