Leeteuk of Super Junior has drawn criticism for a variety of things that NCT fans didn’t like, including accusing him of sexual harassment. Korean and international netizens ate this up, probably cause there’s ample reason to dislike Leeteuk from other things and this just seemed to fit that mode. However, after looking into things a bit, what Leeteuk did hardly seems like anything to get worked up over.
1. Sexually harassing Doyoung
Leeteuk was talking about how a female guest’s habit was touching the other member’s butts and he said he would give an example and made fellow MC Doyoung get up and groped his butt. Despite Doyoung saying “I don’t want to”, he told him to “stay still” and basically sexually harassed him.
Okay, so this is the Red Velvet thing talking about how Irene loves to grope Wendy‘s ass. The problem is that Doyoung doesn’t say “I don’t want to” or anything much at all.
I guess the gif looks bad, but watching the video there didn’t seem to be anything to it.
I’m, uh, not gonna comment on why Doyoung sticks his ass out and bends over for the spanking.
Either way, it seems clear to me that painting Leeteuk as some kind of sexual molester over this is silly.
2. Called Johnny ‘dumb’ when Johnny’s American
– Johnny had gotten a quiz right and Leeteuk said “Huh? You’re actually smart. I thought you were dumb.”
– Johnny had won an arm wrestling competition to which Leeteuk said, “You won the arm wrestle right? Congratulations~ You’re so dumb, all you have is physical strength.”
– Told Johnny to read out loud ‘Tree and Shikhye’… Tree and Shikhye in Korean is ‘Namoo Shikhye’ and if it’s said out loud really fast, it sounds like you’re saying “I’m dumb”
Definitely seems to me like they were just joking around.
내가 기분 나빠서 진짜 안 올리고 싶었는데 좀 조심해주세요 아무리 후배라도 정도가 있는거에요 생방송 중인데 같은 엠씨한테 멍청한 줄 알았는데가 뭡니까? 스텝 웃음 소리도 짜증나네 pic.twitter.com/PlNAUNdTSN
— 장어 (@neofishery) November 21, 2016
Seems like a reach to get worked up about it anyway.
3. In the second episode of NCT Life, Leeteuk kept mixing up their names when there were a total of four NCT memers present. He had already memorized Jeno and Jisung’s names from a previous show but not Renjun or Chenle. Despite the members showing discomfort at him constantly getting their names wrong, he refused to stop and try to get them right and continued to call them by the wrong names despite being in an MC position where its his job.
Not even gonna bother with this one, because at worst this makes him incompetent at his job, certainly nothing to get up in arms over.
Anyway, so I understand people assume the worst cause it’s Leeteuk and all that, but I really don’t see a problem with anything here.
I regret to inform you that the netizens are at it again.